Saturday, July 24, 2010

So, yesterday....

.... I pulled out my high school yearbook from my senior year, for the sole purpose of looking up Dee Barrett, from whom I recently received a facebook message regarding our upcoming class reunion. And the reason I felt the need to look up Dee Barrett is that the message was actually from Dee-Aleece Barrett, which seems somewhat feminine, and facebook was under the impression that this person was of female gender, while I distinctly remembered Dee Barrett as being a man. And the only photos available were family/group shots, in which I recognized no one, male or female, although in my defense, it has been awhile. So that got me wondering if during the intervening 

30 years since we graduated, Dee Barrett had a sex change, or if I was somehow remembering really, really incorrectly. And while I was looking through all the seniors with last names that began with "B", I stopped at "Robert Barrera", and thought, wow, what a good-looking guy with perfect 1980 hair, feathered back just exactly so... And even though I had never really known Robert Barrera while we were going to school, or traveled in any of the same circles, I couldn't help wondering what he was doing now, and what his hair looks like now, before moving on through the rest of the "B" photos, once again, as always, distracted and irritated by my own senior portrait there in the "B"'s, with color and lighting so bad that my mom sent me down to Felt Photography in downtown Logan for a re-shoot, which turned out infinitely better, but too late to replace the original in the yearbook... Then tonight, I saw a post on facebook from another former classmate, saying that Robert Barrera was killed this week in a 4-wheeler accident. And even though I never really knew Robert Barrera, I was just looking at his picture yesterday!! So, it feels like I kinda DID know him... but not. And I guess what I'm trying to say is.... um, I really don't know what I'm trying to say. Except that life is really weird, isn't it?


And Dee Barrett was definitely a guy in 1980, so I don't know what's going on with that....

No comments:

Post a Comment